Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Upcycle Christmas Cards

I love receiving Christmas cards, as an eco-girl I'm always looking for a way I can reuse them. Some cards are so beautiful it pains me to just throw them in the recycling box.

Last year I decided to hold on to some of my favorite cards to see what I could possibly use them for the following year. I simply cut the front of the cards and recycled the back part. Now that the Christmas season is upon us, I was excited to go through my box of saved cards.

I had some gifts to wrap and instead of buying Christmas tags or writing on the box, I decided to use my old Christmas cards as tags. A great benefit was it didn't cost me anything and I was able to get about 3-5 different tags out of one card depending on the design.

My friends loved their little tags and were not even aware that they were homemade.

Here's what to do:

1. Find a card that has a nice image or designs



2. Simply cut around the image/design. You can use simple scissors or find one of those crafty ones that cuts in a pattern.

3. Punch a hole at the top



4. String ribbon through the hole...and viola! Easy Peasy!

3 comments:

  1. I agree- best tags ever! Now, what should I do with baby's first birthday cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're making a scrap book you could use the cards as designs around the picture, or even as a mat for pictures in a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved mine as well, and had no idea... I look forward to doing this next year (or even this year, if I can get Dave to part with them that quickly... no, probably not...)

    ReplyDelete