Monday, December 14, 2009

Have to Start Somewhere

This is my first attempt at a blog, so I'm figuring it may be a few steps forward and a couple stumbles back. I started learning about sustainable living in 2008. Who knew a restless night flipping channels, settling on Oprah, would lead me to a new path. I really don't want to say that it was my "A-HA" moment, but dang it Oprah, it was.

Oprah was featuring the author of Gorgeously Green, Sophie Uliano. The next day I was bored at work and decided to check out her book on Amazon. Since it was on sale, I figured what the heck. 8 simple ways to go green without having to break the bank? I mean organic always sounded good, but was out of my budget.

The book does have some great ideas and ways that you can start going green. I began by challenging myself once a month on trying or changing something in my life to move towards sustainable living. Bring my own bags to the stores, ride my bike within a 2 mile radius, make my own cleaning products, make my own face products, go to farmers markets, replace my plastic containers with glass containers, and the list goes on.

Here it is almost two years later, and I'm finding myself in a whole new challenge. You'd think moving to Hawai'i would make things easier, but I live in Waikoloa. Waikoloa Village is a beautiful area on the west side of the Big Island. Its dry, rarely rains, dusty and windy, and most stores are 30 minutes away.

My plan is to use this as a forum to chronicle different things I'm trying here and the challenges I've been facing Greening Mew.

No comments:

Post a Comment