Monday, April 5, 2010

DIY-Carpet Freshner

I love this carpet freshner mix, its easy, effective, and most importantly inexpensive. I also use this in my cat's litter box. I loved carpet freshner, especially being a cat owner, but most mixes gave me a headache. Once I found this recipe, I never looked back, and my friends love getting it as a gift.

Baking Soda is a great natural deodorizer, and tea tree oil helps with anti-bacteria.

Ingredients:
1 box Baking Soda (a naturally absorbs odor)
5 drops Tea Tree Oil (has antiseptic and antifungal)
20 drops Essential Oil

I store the mix in an airtight container. Typically I'll mix 10 drops of Eucalyptus Oil and 10 drops of Peppermint Oil. Of course you can add what ever scent you want. I've also used Lemon and Orange Oil, as well as lavender oil.

Its best to shake up the mix, then let it sit for a day so the oils can mix appropriately. Once ready, sprinkle the mix on your carpet, let sit for at least 10 minutes and vacuum away.

2 comments:

  1. It really is amazing the way that the oils will... settle over the course of a day? The first time I made this, I was like, "MEW, IT DOESN"T SMELL LIKE YOURS!" Sure enough, two days later I was good to go!

    This is literally one of those things where we wonder how we ever lived without this stuff. I like to add lavender buds to mine.

    ReplyDelete